CAUSES OF STUDENT POOR ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE IN TEACHING OF SOCIAL STUDIES IN
SECONDARY SCHOOL CERTIFICATE EXAMINATION A CASE STUDY OF IKPOBA OKHA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE
- Format: Ms Word Document
- Pages: 89
- Price: N 3,000
- Chapters: 1-5
- Get the Complete Project
An enormous gap continues to exist between intended changes and actual classroom practice in social studies education in Nigeria, particularly in Ikpoba Okha local government area of Edo state. Adoption of the subject was meant to be move away for tradition separate subject teaching to integration form teacher centered pedagogy, form expository to inquiry teaching. Yet research shows that there is little or no change in the classroom, rather studies teaching is still is its tradition from. This is a general context within which the research work we be based.
The purpose of this research there is to enlighten the communities, state and Nigeria’s and large to be award of the role of social studies education plays in the development of our modern world, both socially, economically, politically and culturally.
The instrument that was used in the collection of were there; questionnaire, personal observation and in finally in interviews. This well at the end of the research work, help see the causes of students poor academic performance in teaching of social studies in secondary school certificate.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Background of the study
Statement of the study
Significance of the study
Purpose of the study
Scope and limitation of the study
Definition of terms
The meaning of social studies
Social studies teaching method
Sources of social studies instruction materials
Causes of student poor performance in teaching of social studies
Purpose of the study
Sample and sampling procedure
Validity and reliability of instrument
Administration of questionnaire
Method of data analysis
Data analysis and interpretation
Summary, conclusion and recommendation
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Education is the acquisition of knowledge and skills or attitude. It can be defined as the process which individual acquired skills, attitude and competence; education is a right of every child. Whether traditional or modern it has always been a major concern of man.
Every human being needs basic necessities such as food, water, clothing/ shelter, education and health care for his or her daily life.
Many authors have written on the causes of student’s poor academic performance in teaching social studies in secondary school certificate examination, a case study of Ikpoba Okha local government area of Edo state.
These authors thought social studies as catalyst for engineering desire social change. However there has been an enormous gap which continues to exist between intended changes and actual classroom practice in social studies education in Nigeria adaptation of the subject teaching to integrate from teacher centered to child centered pedagogy; form expository to inquiry teaching, yet researches shows that there is little or no change in the classroom.
According to Charles (2009) in his definitions also called attention to the sources of social studies content and made reference to needed outcomes. According to him social studies embraces materials rated to human relationships drawn from history, geography, science and the arts. They include content and activities that may be used to develop insight into human relationships in such a way that children build competence in basic social processes and skills essential in democratic living.
The special emphasis in Charles definition on the use of relevant social science to create competence on basic social processes and skills needed in democratic living is not worthy.
Winners (2008), a study of man in his totality where he lives, his activities in the past and present, his culture, his frame of mind and how he relates to others, it focuses on developing the right values, attitudes and abilities which will help the child to get on well with others as he grows up to become a responsible citizens.
Branner Etal (2009) who wrote a year earlier had placed an equal stress on knowledge, skill, attitudes and actions in his definitions.
According to him social studies is a programme of study which a society uses to instill in students the knowledge, skills, attitudes and actions considers important concerning the relationships human beings have with each other, their world and themselves.
Social studies is the study of how man lives in the society, Nulls (2007) expressed this definition in a more academic form, noted that social studies is an inter disciplinary field in which man learns about problems and survival in his environment. He added that it is a study of ho man influences and he is in turn influenced by his physical, social , political, religious, economic, psychological, cultural, scientific and technological environments.
STATEMENTS OF PROBLEM
The problem of this study is the causes of student poor academic performance in teaching of socials studies on secondary school certificate examination a case study of Ikpoba Okha local government area of Edo state. It also includes factors which might hinder the effective discrimination of social studies knowledge such as irregular workshop and conference in service training inadequate instructional material in teaching lack incentive apathy among educational leaders and policy makers as well as the learning’s attitude toward learning and finally the learning environment.
SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
After the successful research work different works of life will find useful because it will
1. Help other future researchers as well as others readers to acquire a first hand knowledge on the causes of students poor academic performance in teaching of social studies in secondary school certificate examination in Ikpoba Okha local government area of Edo state.
2. Help make the community state and nation to be aware of the causes of student’s poor academic performance in teaching of social studies.
3. Help give government information on how they can improve and maintain the approve standard of social studies instruction of learners.
4. Give the researchers an opportunity to gain knowledge of some of the causes encountered during social studies instruction delivery and ways to improve or cope with these causes.
5. Give policy makers the opportunity to recognize their roles as educational administrators and improve their lots as to planning and organizing seminars and conference for teaching and improve social studies teaching skills.
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study is to x-ray
1. The causes of student’s poor academic performances in teaching of social studies on secondary school in Ikpoba Okha local government area.
2. Teacher’s attitude towards the teaching and learning of social studies will improve.
3. Government role in enhancing the teaching and learning of social studies will be alleviated.
4. Solutions to the causes of students poor academic performances in teaching of social studies in secondary school in Ikpoba Okha local government area and Nigeria at large.
To ensure meaningful research work the following research question are formulated.
1. Does the method used by teachers in the teaching of social studies affect the teaching and learning of social studies?
2. Does the laxity of government official affect the teaching and learning of social studies?
3. Does teaching of social studies equipment pas the effective knowledge and skills required?
DEFINITION OF TERMS
Innovation: this means to introduce something new
Syllabus: this is the outline or summary of a course of student’s programme of social studies.
Information: this means new of knowledge given that is useful to the learners.
Investigation: it means to examine, inquire into or make careful study of event.
Suggestion: it is a process of bragging an idea into the mind through association with other ideas