Unearthing a topic about which to write will be governed by a number of factors, including:
- The course for which the paper is assigned
- Whether there is a topic assigned to you by the professor
- Whether you are given a broad-spectrum subject area
- How much freedom you are given to branch out and select a topic
Hopefully, you have been furnished with some freedom of choice when it comes to choosing from the wealth of academic paper topics. However, if you do have some choice in the matter, you might be speculating about how to narrow it down.
There are a number of ways to effectively comb through the abundance of research paper topics and discover one that will work well for you. Here are some suggestions:
- Ask your professor. He or she might seem like a task-master, but chances are your professor wants you to succeed and might have some fabulous ideas of interesting things to research. You can also inquire with other university staff and graduate students for ideas. These people know the field well and it provides you a way to get to know them better, something that will work to your advantage.
- Browse through scientific journals and research papers, but be sure to adhere to the most recent research possible. There are bound to be problems and issues discussed in published papers that would make a great research paper topic.
- Investigate other professional and government publications for ideas. Again, keep to the most recent publications, within the last three to five years, if possible.
- Browse through your library catalog to uncover the most interesting areas of study in your field.
- Take notes everywhere you go! It doesn’t matter if you are in class listening to your professor give a lecture, traveling, reading a magazine, watching the news, or watching a TV show or movie, ideas are absolutely everywhere! Write things down whenever you come across something unique and interesting and you just might find a topic to pursue.
When it comes down to it, deciding on one of the many academic essay topics is the most substantial step of the process. This video guides you through the process of choosing a topic.
Once you have that narrowed down, you can focus your research and write a remarkable paper. Now, we want to give you some help. What follows is an extensive list of the most interesting research topics to get you started.