THE RELEVANCE OF MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM IN ACHIEVING ORGANIZATIONAL GOALS AND OBJECTIVE(A CASE STUDY OF NITEL OWERRI)
In recent times there have been a growing concern on management information as a very important resource useful in any organization. The realization of the management information system (MIS) need is not restricted to business organizations only. The growth and the complexity of firms have necessitated the call and need for effective and efficient management information system. There have been wide spread cases of inefficient decision-making, lack of accurate information, which shatter the efforts of an organization towards the achievement of goal and objectives. The essence of this project is to ascertain whether management information system has helped to facilitate decision making of management and to determine the extent to which it has enabled the planning, control and operational functions of the organisation to train the standard of efficiency required from good management. Also this work is geared towards evaluating the influence of management information system (MIS) on better management function to appraise whether it has contributed to the achievement of organizational objectives.
The focus of this research study is on the relevance of management information system (MIS) in the achievement of organizational objectives. Information is an indispensable resource in every organization, be it profit oriented organization. We are actually in an information era, though organization had passed through different era, the manufacturing and industrial era. An organization’s activities get improved with timely accurate and pertinent information that helps to make better decisions in every organization.
Management information system consists of people, equipment and procedures to gather, sort, analyze, evaluate and distribute accurate timely and pertinent information or management decision makers. The chapter broken down into sub-headings via back ground of the study, statement of problem purpose of the study, scope of the study, research hypothesis research questions, significant of all study, limitation of the study and definition of terms. Each sub-heading is discn. Td one after the other below
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The problem of management information system (MIS) as an important tool to achieving organizational objectives is challenging to managers of any organization especially the modern day managers. No organizational can realized its goals and objective without a conscious effort using a well organized management information system, thus, organization are concerned with goal achievement having mobilized and allocated resources including information. The essence of this study is to show the relevance of (MIS) to management and to ascertain whether it has helped in facilitating decision making or management and to determine the extent to which it has enabled planning, control and operational function of an organization.
Planning requires management information system the managers have to retrieve information system is the reception of facts and ideas and it is very essential to organization as in their planning and controlling functions. In terms of achievement of organizations objectives, accurate information is necessary.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
The essence of every research undertaking is the solve teething and novel problems posing serious threats to the life, success and survival of any organization, we can as well say that management information system in its own respect is the life wire of an organization and it has been widely used and acknowledge, it is a very sensitive function used by management.
Many organization have realize their targets with aid of the management information system and still there is lack of management expertise in adequately managing their information system for improvement although they might have one form of information system or the other, let us state the inherent problems that bedevil the management of organization like NITEL so as to have a focus as to determine the solutions by the ends of the work such inherent problems are:
1. That most organizations do not have efficient management information system and if they have, there information systems are not effective as to its role towards goals and objective attainment.
2. Most managers are governed by intuition and judgment as to what course of action to follow in their planning and decision making function, many of them as a matter of fact do not make use of the information supplied to them from within and outside the organization and if they do, to some degree, the receive form the business environment.
3. There is also the problem of evaluating the impact of management information system towards the achievement of objectives. Many managers are yet to capitalize and utilize information for decision making and goals attainment. Therefore the questing as to whether management information system enables organization achieve their objectives has to be addressed in this research study.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study is to show the relevance of management information system to organization and to check, if it is has helped to facilitate the decision making process of management of an organization. The researcher also intends to show the impact of management information on business organization, specifically, the purpose of this study include these below:
1. To find out the extent to which organization, have and make use of information system.
2. To ascertain the effectiveness of their information systems and how goals and objectives are achieved through them.
3. To evaluate the problems militating against the management information system of NITEL Owerri.
4. To evaluate the relationship between the relevance of management information system and organizational objectives of NITEL
5. To identify how effective is management information system and decision making
6. To find out the extent to which organization have recommend the most appropriate management information system strategies that would be adopted by them in order to achieve their objectives.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
In order to get a clear picture and focus for this study were can pose serious questions necessary for the solution of the problems we have identifies in solution 1.2 above such questions include these believe
1. To what extent is management information system essential to business organization?
2. How do management make use of the information system to achieve their goal and objectives?
3. What are the problem militating against the management information system of NITEL in Owerri?
4. Is there any relationship between management information system and organization objectives of NITEL in Owerri.
5. To what extent have organization adopted the technological innovation of system device like the computer and the internet?
6. To what extent does effective management information system in NITEL Owerri helps in planning and decision making?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
1. Ho: Management information system in NITEL Owerri is not effective for planning and decision making
Hi: Management information system in NITEL Owerri is effective for planning and decision making
2. Ho: Management information system has not been helping the NITEL organization to achieve its goals and objectives
Ho: Management information system has been helping the NITEL organization to achieve its goals and objectives
3. Ho: There is no significance relationship between management information system and organization objective
Hi: There is significance relationship between management information system and organization objective
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
i. The following will benefit from this research work the management of organization (NITEL) owerri and other profit and non profit organisaiton in terms of accurate and pertinent information which will be needed to make better decision in every organization.
ii. To the employees the benefit of this study is to show the most appropriate management information system that will enable them carryout their duties in the organization.
iii. To the government the benefit of this study is to facilitate decision making to help government to determine the extent to which it will enable the planning control and operational functions of the government to attain the standard of efficiency required from them.
Iv Finally to the researcher, it has been of great significances as it helps build up his knowledge and broaden his understanding of management information system (MIS) to academicians, it opens up areas where further research work need to be done.
1.7 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The case study for this undertaking is restricted to Nigeria Telecommunication Plc (NITEL) Owerri office. The findings from the study of the relevance of management information system (MIS) in NITEL Owerri will be used to generalize the effectiveness of management information system (MIS) in both NITEL branches nation wide other organizations making used of information systems.
As the above statement indicates the entire study focuses on NITEL as an instrument of the Federal Government realizing its goals of making information and communication network worth while in Nigeria, for effective coverage of its assignment NITEL overall objective is to make telecommunication easy both at the local and at the international level.
1.8 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
In an undertaking of this nature it demands that a lot of resource time, energy, intellectual ability and carefulness should be expended, there is no doubt that there should be limitations and obstacle looming largely ahead, trying to prove difficulties of all the limitations is time factor which tends to be the most crucial. In spite of the lengthy period allowed the researcher, lots of problems came in between the consume most of the time that would have been useful to the researcher. This ranges from time to financial resources limitations.
1.9 DEFINITION OF TERMS
MANAGEMENT: Precisely, management is defined as the combination of material and human resources to achieve goals, according to Mauser and Schwartx (1979) according to Agu et al (200) management is defined as the process of achieving an organizations goals through the coordinated performance of six specific function planning, organization, communication, controlling, staff and motivating.
INFORMATION: Information is anything capable of affective the uncertainty associated with a given situation. Hagues (1976): Information is also seen as a meaningful input from which decision are made
SYSTEM: A system is a means by which an organization achieve its goals. It could also be seen as an established or organized procedure or a method. According to Oparah, Chidiebere (et al 2006)
ORGANISATION: An organization is the internal environment where business activities are carried out. It consists of units with a clear out division of labour and expects employed and trained for different business function, according to Opara Chidiebere et al (2006)
GOALS: Are specific short term and quantitative statement of an organization performance target.
OBJECTIVES: Are broad and qualitative statements about the organizations performance target objectives are integral to plans because they specify future conditions that the planner deems satisfactory
DATA: Simple defined as any figure, word, letter, charts or symbols that attempt to convey a condition, situation or idea. Agu C.N et al (2001)
PLANNING: Planner has been defined as the process of the organization, determining the strategies, policies and procedure that are necessary to achieve the stated objectives Agu C.N (2000).