DESIGN AND FABRICATION OF AN ELECTRIC POPCORN FRYING MACHINE
Nigeria’s economy has suffered a terrible setback over the year the common man finds it difficult to make for his livelihood, some people take pop-corn as one of their favorite food especially bachelors spinsters who can take pop-corn as super, breakfast and even lunch.
The University and Polytechnics graduate no longer find good employment thereby embarks on self-employment by constructing popcorn machine to meet their needs.
This unemployment constitutes the economic depression of our nations. The popcorn-making machine in constructed with locally made materials at a reduced cost. The design, construction and fabrication of the machine i.e. not in any known text at the moment, the project group therefore faced design, construction and fabrication problem.
1.2 DESIGN CONSTRUCTION AND FABRICATION PROBLEM
The problems associated with the design of the machine are discussed below.
1. Selection of Electric Motor: In the market, there are various types of motor with varying speed of rotation per minute. The automated popcorn machine has a striver which turns the corn inside the cast opts as heating on. The striver, which rotates due to the rod connected to it from the motor, should rotate with a low speed to produce the desired effect. In our research, we were able to discover that only a low speed motor could give the desired turning effect.
2. Heating Element: Another problem in the choice of heating element. There are various kinds of heating elements available in the market ranging from 850- 1500watts. The elements come in different shapes, sizes, and makes e.g. spring type, ring type and plate type.
3. Third Design Problem is Control and Safety: In the system we discovered that there is the need for the finance circuit to control the operation of the electrical popcorn machine.
4. Construction and Fabrication of the Housing for the Machine: This is fourth problem, which involves the use of per pex holler rectangular aluminum bars in profile glasses and metal handle. With respect to safety. The machine was made to be safer for the users by incorporating the user of insulator in the design.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE DESIGN
1. To eliminate the use of manual popcorn machine.
2. To save time and manpower as most of the work in now done by using electricity.
3. To achieve mass production.
4. To use electrical energy in the production of popcorn.
5. To produce popcorn at a reduced cost.
1.4 SCOPE AND LIMITATION
This project covers design, construction fabrication and operation of the electrical operated popcorn producing machine.
1.5 IMPORTANCE OF THE PROJECT
The project will serve as a means of employment to mechanical engineering graduates when properly carried out. some government can longer guarantee her citizens already made employment. The present economic situation in this country calls for self-reliance. The young technological engineer can embark on the production of the electrical operated popcorn-producing machine on low scale and when buoyant enough can embark on large-scale production. This project serves as a medium of enriching our knowledge of designs and constructions techniques, since it embraces practical and research operation. Thirdly, it will provide employment for the fulltime unemployment house covers. Young men and women who have attended the age of gainful employment from the government. Thus included graduates, young school leavers etc . This will provide means of revenue and livelihood, thereby helping to correct societal ills that is prevail our society.
Finally, this project is also relevant to the technology advancement of the nation. It could be exported to the neighbouring countries thereby serving as a source of foreign exchange earning for the nation.
1.6 DEFINITION OF TERMS
1. Hot Plate: It is a device that connects electrical energy to leaf energy.
2. Stirrer: This is the rod attached to the gear of the motor that is rotating and turning the corn in the pot.
3. Electric Motor: An electrical motor in a device where converted electrical energy to mechanical energy.
4. Thermostat: A device consisting of two metal of different linear expandability which when electrical current is applied on it can be used to regulate the temperature of heat producing devices.
5. Connector: It is an electrical accessory used in linking two cables together.
6. Fuse Plug: IT is an electrical component consisting of fuse element, which can be used to provide an electrical circuit.
7. Design Drawing: It is a drawing or outline from which something can be made.