COOPERATIVE MARKETING AND TRANSPORTATION IN ANAMBRA STATE (A CASE STUDY OF OGBO-EFFERE ONITSHA COOPERATIVE SOCIETY LTD)
This work tends to present cooperative marketing and transportation Anambra State. In so during, the study emphasizes as a whole, the marketing activities of Ogbo-Efere Cooperative Societies in Anambra State. The research work was undertaken to examine and analyze the impact of cooperative Marketing in Anambra State.
The data were mainly collected through questionnaire and personal interview directed to society. The researcher also use primary and secondary data to source the information used. The researcher used table, percentage and the technique for data analysis is the chi-square. It was discovered that Cooperative Marketing and Transportation in Anambra State are facing many problems especially transportation problem and infrastructural problem.
Base on the findings of the researcher some recommendations were made to panacea and eradicate the problems in Cooperative Marketing and Transportation Anambra State.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title Page i
Table of Contents vi-vii
1.1 General Overview of the Study
1.2 Statement of the Problem
1.3 Objective of the Study
1.4 Scope of the Study
1.6 Significance of the Study
1.7 Limitation of the Study
1.8 Definition of Terms
2.0 Literature Review
2.1 Origin of Ogbo-Efere Onitsha Cooperative Society Ltd
2.2 The Nature of Marketing Cooperatives
2.3 The Concept of Cooperative Marketing
2.4 The Benefits of Cooperative Marketing
2.5 The Problems of Marketing Cooperative
2.6 Suggested Solutions to the Problems
3.0 Research Methodology
3.2 Research Design
3.3 Sampling Design
3.4 Method of Data Collection
3.5 Procedure for Processing Data
4.0 Presentation of Data and Analysis of Data
4.1 Presentation of Data
4.2 Analysis of Data
4.3 Test of Hypothesis
5.0 Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
1.1 GENERAL OVERVIEW OF THE STUDY
Cooperative marketing is both a physical distribution and one economic bridge designed to facilitate the movement and exchange of commodities. A basic purpose of marketing cooperative is to strengthen the bargaining power of formers in the market. And the function of marketing cooperatives is to sell or market products (usually form produce) on behalf of the members.
Cooperative marketing helps members in exchanging the productivity of agricultural products thereby increasing the finances of cooperative. Cooperative marketing helps in promoting Nigerian’s image in other world.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The cooperative marketing are facing a lot of problems most of cooperatives are not educated and this has affected the efficient management of their societies. They are ignorant of modern methods and principles of management and do not make use of the marketing concepts in their activities. This has resulted in most societies nor measuring up to expectation and even most cooperative society folding up
Another problem lies in the supervision of these cooperative societies. The cooperative inspectors from the ministry are not discharging their duties effectively, so most of the inspector complained of lack of transportation.
Finance has also been a major problem where cooperative marketing societies are. Most of them are from low income group and as such cannot raise sufficient capital for the smooth running of the societies. An even finance from external service is very difficult to get and when granted, these societies feel very reluctant to pay back the money. These are also cases of misappropriation of finds by some members and officials of these societies.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The objective of this study in the cooperative marketing activities by Ogbo-Efere Marketing in Anambra State and how they handle transportation challenges. The specific objectives will be as follows:
- To know the extent to which transportation posses a problem to cooperative marketing.
- To find out the effects of the transport problems in marketing societies.
- To find out the steps token through cooperative marketing to resolve the transportation challenges they face.
- To make useful recommendations on possible ways of further resolving the transport problem of marketing societies.
1.4 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This research study is limited to the geographical boundaries of Anambra State in general, Ogbo-Efere Cooperative Society Ltd, Onitsha in particular.
For effective research, some academic conjunctives are formulated to help in making decision in proving whether the conjunctives are true or false.
- H0: Cooperative marketing does not resolve the transportation problems by them.
HI: Cooperative marketing resolves the transportation problems faced by them.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This project will provide information about usefulness and importance of Ogbo-Efere Onitsha Cooperative Society. it will make members to appreciate the services of marketing cooperatives. Above all, it will service as a reference for future research in this area.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
With the process of this research, the following tentative limitations were outlined.
- Inadequate Fund: Fund availability may likely affect this research work because of the intended movements from one place to the other to enable the researcher obtain necessary information.
- Time: As a student in higher institution, time may likely affect the researcher in conducting the research work.
iii. Uncharitable Behavior: The attitudinal behavior of some members because of their level of education, ignorance and unawareness will also be expected to work against the work. It is hoped however, that the above limitations will in one way affect the validity of this project.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
- Cooperative Republic or Common Wealth: This means independent state of group of federation cooperative communities.
- Statutory Function: These are functions which impose on an organization as a result of the law establishing it.
iii. Bulk Purchase: This involves buying of thing in large quantities or sizes.
- Patronage Rebases: This deals with discounts on the amounts cooperatives members are expected to pay.
2.0 LITERATURE REVIEW
2.1 ORIGIN OF OGBO-EFERE ONITSHA COOPERATIVE SOCIETY LTD
The Ogbo-Efere Cooperative Societies was established in the year November, 1996 when government decided that there will be no more street traders, majority agree while others refuse to go and for that they have the division of sets, some stage at Ochanja market while others stays at Ogbo-Efere Cooperative which was located at Ogodoukate and was approved by Ogbaro Local Government Chairman (Mrs. Calista Nwachukwu).
It is also known as HUDMICS LTD in Ogbo-Efere Cooperative Societies, it is manufacturers’ representatives of importers and exporters wholesales and retailers. It contains approximated 2000 shops. In Ogbo-efere Cooperative, their tenure usually last for four years which their present president is Chief Paul Ngoakwa.
2.2 THE NATURE OF MARKETING COOPERATIVES
The nature of marketing depends on the organizational and product peculiarities of a given firm. It started with productive cooperative since what was produced needed to be sold.
Cooperative marketing have held good position on marketing of Agricultural produces. Those cooperative societies that carryout the activities of marketing one called marketing cooperative societies, such societies apply marketing techniques to suit cooperative ideologies and they are not limited only to Agriculture. In Enugu State just like in other states some of the marketing cooperative is engaged in services, general goods and other products. Umebali (2006: 336) maintains that a marketing cooperative is an association whose primary function is to sell or market products on behalf of members. The organization may be single or multi-purpose in nature handling one activity and multiple activities respectively A.C. Amahalu 2007.
2.3 THE CONCEPT OF COOPERATIVE MARKETING
In the concept of cooperative marketing attempts will be made to explain some concept like: market, marketing, cooperative are finally cooperative marketing which may be local, regional, national, or international, is the interaction of the forces of demand and supply irrespective of the physical location of buyers and sellers. The most important thing is that buyers and sellers are able to get in touch with each either by any means of communication.
Marketing facilitates the input output relationships within the market. It includes all those business activities associated with the flow of goods and service from production to consumption. In other ward marketing is ascertaining, creating, satisfying the wants of people and doing it at a profit.
Cooperative is the combination of a sociological group and a business enterprise, which is formed and acts in accordance with cooperative principles. In Nigeria like other developing countries cooperatives is one of the strategies adopted to improve the agricultural sector and well-being of mankind.
While cooperative marketing involve those cooperatives that are engaged in marketing activities mainly for the interest of the members. In another sense, cooperative marketing refer to all those activities, arrangements and preparations in line with cooperative principles and aim at assisting members who may be producers of agricultural product.
Marketing activities include identifying potential customers and target markets, evaluating customer’s needs, giving craftsmen feedback on the latest trades in colors, design and competition; setting uniform quality standard, developing coordinated lines and guaranteeing delivery to attract wholesale buyers, providing retail and wholesaler services such as operating craft shops, selling of wholesale or craft shows, sponsoring craft show, publishing catalog, providing sales representatives, or acting as a wholesale merchant A.C. Amahah (2007), Mike O.C.N (2005).
2.4 BENEFITS OF COOPERATIVE MARKETING
- The benefit of cooperative marketing is to strengthen the bargaining power of the former in the market.
- It gives lending institutions and banks an assurance of credit worthiness.
- Cooperative marketing help in selling or marketing of product on self of members.
- Cooperative marketing make useful recommendation on the possible ways of improving the marketing efficiency of these societies.
- Cooperative marketing guarantees continuous education.
- Cooperative marketing counters the exploitation tendencies of the middlemen and exclude those who do not perform economic function.
- Cooperative marketing help in supplies, sales and distributions especially fertilizers, machineries, implement and improved seedling. Ijere M.O. (1961).
2.5 THE PROBLEMS OF MARKETING COOPERATIVE
Some of the problems of marketing cooperative is facing in recent time are:
- Marketing cooperative is not firmly promoted and put into place in all states of the federation.
- Marketing cooperative sometimes are not involved in forwarding and clearing business in the country.
- Goods manufactured in the country are not even distributed by marketing cooperative.
- Interstate marketing cooperative in food or essential products in relation to any state does not take place.
- Marketing cooperative is not expanded to cover most of the produce problems in the sector Ogujiofor E.A., (2001).
- Marketing cooperative lack fund our credit in their business operations
2.6 SUGGESTED SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEMS
- The government should help to promote marketing cooperative in all state in federation.
- The government should assist the marketing cooperative in the forwarding and clearing of business in the country.
- The goods produced in the country should be evenly distributed by marketing cooperative.
- Government should encourage interstate of marketing cooperative in essential product to states in the country.
- Government should assist the marketing coop so can produce manufactured can expanded to cover most of the produce problem in the sector.
- Government should fund marketing cooperation through soft loans.